Saturday, January 22, 2011

My New Toy

For quite some time I've wanted a sewing machine. The fact that I have absolutely no idea how to work a sewing machine really didn't matter....I wanted it and I have visions of making cute things for the girls. I also didn't want just a sewing machine but rather one that also did embroidery. Last weekend I decided it was time to quit talking about it and just get it. Now I'm the owner of a brand new Brother SE400 and I'm signed up for a class next Saturday for beginner sewers. This SE400 is a greater starter machine because it's inexpensive but does everything.

The sewing machine arrived on Thursday evening and I tracked that thing via the UPS website all week as if I were tracking Santa Claus.  I would text Joe every day telling him where it was....Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and finally our front porch. It became a joke between us because he started to ask where my sewing machine was each day. I was seriously so excited to get the thing.

I couldn't wait for my class and of course had to open it and start tinkering with it. I've figured out how to thread it and all of the stitches. Tonight I worked on the embroidery feature and even downloaded an embroidery design directly from computer. That's another wonderful feature....it connects to my computer so you aren't stuck with the basic designs in the machine but rather anything you want from the internet. I LOVE IT. My next big task will be learning how to applique but I think I need to save that for an expert to explain to me.

To practice embroidery I did two things tonight on scrap material.....



The tiara is the one I downloaded into the machine and so far it's the only one I've downloaded. I am imagining this design on a solid color t-shirt with a cute fabric to applique and embroider around and embroidering their name below it. I'm a novice so it will probably take me a really long time to figure all of this out but it's my new favorite hobby.
post signature

1 comment:

nana said...

my talented daughter. no wonder the girls are super twins.
love mom